Re: [LUG] poorly Debian box

On Saturday 23 October 2004 22:06, Adrian Midgley wrote:
THis was all going wonderfully, when it decided to (apt-get) upgrade glibc

Failed during the process, and now falls over when it has prepared the
dependency tree.

I had a guddle around with a copy of Knoppix and tried moving the various
libraries to where they said they should live, but still v flaky and can't
run apt-get

Where should I look next?

I've done this in the past with a Redhat box, so I'll roughly translate the
process into how I'd try to do it with Debian.

You need to boot from a bootable Debian CD (ideally a Debian-Installer disc,
Knoppix might work) and configure up your networking, apt sources and mount
the root  filesystem somewhere.

Run apt-get from the CD with -d to download the glibc packages (if you're
running testing I can confirm that the current packages are OK so you don't
need to revert to an older version). Now use dpkg to install them using the
--root option to point to where you mounted your root partition.

That should do it! Good luck.

David.

--
David Johnson