Re: [LUG] Network speeds

Mark Mitchell wrote:

| OpenBSD 3.5. File transfers with sftp are reporting speeds of around
| "100KB/s" - I'm not sure if this is Bytes or Bits, but either way it's
| a fraction of the 100 Mbits/s I should get.

Okay sftp is encrypted - this is putting a lot of junk in the way of
measuring network performance.

Start with raw (unencrypted) ftp, or a dedicated tool (net-perf -
although it is probably overkill for this network).

Also be aware that ftp may well be measuring disk I/O, so do the
transfer twice in quick succession, the first will put the file into
buffer cache (assuming you're not short on memory), the second will
measure closer to raw network speed. You can of course also cat the
file to /dev/null or such on the serving end, but usually repeating
the transfer a few times is a good idea anyway.

| I checked out the NIC configuration to make sure both cards were
| 100Mb/s and they both seem to be: ifconfig on Mandrake gives -
|
| eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:09:5B:1D:18:3E
|           inet addr:10.0.0.9  Bcast:255.255.255.255  Mask:255.0.0.0
|           inet6 addr: fe80::209:5bff:fe1d:183e/64 Scope:Link
|           UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
|           RX packets:2954050 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:99
|           TX packets:2279725 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
|           collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
|           RX bytes:99044883 (94.4 Mb)  TX bytes:170102856 (162.2 Mb)
|           Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300

Does this tell us anything about the ethernet link? Check out the
"mii" tools (mii-diag in Debian) for GNU/Linux

| and OpenBSD gives -
|
| sis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
|       address: 04:26:02:50:80:00
|       media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX full-duplex)
|       status: active
|       inet 10.0.0.3 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.0.255
|       inet6 fe80::626:2ff:fe50:8000%sis0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1

Hmm, a media field +1 for BSD.

| I found something on the internet saying problems like this can
| sometimes be caused by misconfiguring "duplex" but it wasn't very
| specific and I didn't really understand.

I think they mean one side tries to talk fullduplex, and one side
tries to talk half duplex, I don't think it should hurt this much if
you have a decent switch.

If the GNU/Linux box is only doing 10Mbps that might be more likely
cause. Although performance is slow for that as well, 10Mbps plus
encryption and a slow processor, and other junk on the network...

When it mattered I got 70Mbps NFSv2 transfers over 100Mbps ethernet
- - which surprised the author on the network card driver on HP-UX,
but I'd expect speeds of that order for ftp if the hardware is up
for it end to end.

With NFS the big pain was sorting write performance on HP-UX,
shouldn't be an issue with ftp, but check the filesystem you are
going to doesn't have; weird mount options, file system type, or
attributes set (ls -l, and lsattr). Also try the ftp the other way
around to help rule out these kind of issues.