Re: [LUG] make xconfig problem

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 16:11:18 +0100
paul sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi

I am using suse 9.1 and tying to run make xconfig from within
/usr/src/linux but get the following error

scripts/kconfig/qconf arch/i386/Kconfig
Xlib: No protocol specified

qconf: cannot connect to X server :0.0
make[1]: *** [xconfig] Error 1
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2

make menuconfig works after I installed ncurses,  but whats wrong
above?  I also checked I had tcl and tk installed along with make and
related (which were not there earlier so i had to install them)

The problem is that your X server isn't allowing X applications as any user other
than the current user?  You're running make xconfig as root?  The X session was not
initiated as root, but as paul (just guessing your username :p).

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to solve this.  On systems that fall foul of this,
I usually either resort to non-GUI applications or I open a console, login as root
and run a new X session (startx -- :1).

Sorry.

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.