Re: [LUG] PowerDVD - still non-free and proprietary

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 16:48:09 +0100, Dave Trudgian <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I dare say for many Linux users, including myself, there are proprietary
binaries that make linux a usable single desktop solution.

Unfortunately there are occasions when you almost have to use
proprietary software, but I think there's a kind of moral obligation
to use Open Source alternatives whenever possible.

I despise
xine, ogle, mplayer etc as they lack features,

Well they play avi's, divx's, etc, etc, very well. I thought that was
what they were meant to do - I'm rather curious what other "features"
you think are required.

and have always been
flaky for me.

I've had bad experiences with both Free and Non Free software so if
you say they've been flaky fair enough, but my experience has been
different. I personally like to use gmplayer and ogle and I've used
them on all sorts of hardware and OS without the slightest problem. I
suspect you've been very unlucky if you've had significant trouble.

Mark