Re: [LUG] Rackspace bends over for Feds - so much for linux principles?

On Saturday 09 October 2004 7:21 pm, M.Blackmore wrote:
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:58 AM
Subject: BREAKING: Indymedia Servers Seized by FBI

BREAKING: Indymedia Servers Seized by FBI
http://www.truthout.org/docs_04/100904W.shtml

?? Whilst it is of concern - especially to those innocent customers who had
unrelated data on the particular servers (have they had their data restored
to a fresh server?) - I don't see this comment reflected in the text:

The comment from the international journalists organisation is that this
smack of political takedown as intimidation of independent information
outlets.

No such comment is found as a direct quote.

The context is one of repeated US Govt. shutdowns of
independent media in the USA.

That much is borne out by the text.

Rackspace goes on at length to the linux community about its cuddliness.
Perhaps it ought to be pointed out forcibly to them that being "good
corporate citizens" in the context of US global empire objectives does
not equate to being good citizens of a free and democratic society.

I'm not sure about this, the speculation is that it concerns what may in the
UK be termed 'Official Secrets' - granted this is a nebulous term that has
it's own speculation of widespread abuse - but if the speculation is correct,
allowing the unjustified identification of intelligence personnell is at best
unwelcome. It's murky water - if, as suggested, this was a photograph taken
in a public place, it is only the juxtaposition of the photograph with the
text that could be deemed to be of national security. After all, an innocent
tourist snap of the same public place that did not accompany a news story or
other text that identified a relevant person, is not an infringement. A
nameless face in a crowd is no threat - until his/her name or role is spelt
out.

is rooted within the freedoms of
western democracies as painfully (and at best only partially) achieved
after generations of struggle.

Freedom needs to be defended, of course. Our current freedoms were won at a
heavy price - I'm just not convinced that a democracy is more free when
individuals are publicly identified without their consent or due cause.

Absolute freedom is impossible, there must always be limits and most
democracies agree that personal data can be deemed off-limits in the absence
of 'due cause'. e.g. no-one here objects to their name being quoted in a
public archive but everyone would change their password if it was published
(deliberately or not) alongside their name!

--

Neil Williams