Re: [LUG] Allow Me To Introduce Myself

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 14:56, Jon Lawrence wrote:

Gentoo's great :) OK, installing from stage1 can take one heck of a long
time - not really the distro to use if you need to use the box within the
next couple of days :).

I feel a "Gentoo-Installation-Fest" coming on.
Food provided,bring yer own beer and sleeping bags.

Watch the sunset from the balcony while stoking a vegetarian barbeque.
View the spectacular vista of the rubble of ancient ST.Austell,etched by
moonlight...

Enjoy a spot of militant activity when we march en-masse into the local
council offices and commence a system upgrade.

Debian - well, this is what's on all my servers. nuff said really - it
works. OK, the various applications may be slightly old but you can
gaurentee that they'll work.

Once you've built a couple of Kernels, you'll wonder what the fuss is.
Always keep a liveCD (or rescueCD) handy though, everyone can mess up a
Kernel build every now and again - and overwrite the working kernel :) . At
least with a CD you can get back into your system and sort things out.

Can't wait,mate.The way I see it,yes,I have an awful lot to learn,but there
will come a point where it'll all start making sense.I'll fire up Nano and
know exactly what needs to be entered.What would be the point of me,for
example,buying a computer with Gentoo pre-installed?
If I haven't built it from the ground up,I'll have no chance of understanding
how it works.

There is a funny side,however-XP can't "see" the drive either.This
means,anyone purchasing such a computer has two options:either go beserk
and demand a refund..or move on up to Linux.

This sounds more like some kind of odd firmware on the drive rather than a
cylinder issue - though I could be wrong.

Well,all I know is,when I booted from the Universal LIVE Gentoo installation
CD,I ran fdisk and Gentoo "offered" to reset the cylinders to a default
setting.Miraculously,XP could detect the drive immediately following that.

Seems like it was a temporary fix,though.I have tried dozens of  GNU/Linux
distros on said drive and they all report that it doesn't exist/cannot be
accessed/or cfdisk cannot access the drive etc
So,I booted from the Gentoo disc again,and found the cylinders were once more
numbered 20023.
I have a lot to learn about the complexities of hardware,too.

Sadie

Jon