Re: [LUG] My Own Observations Of Course

On Monday 27 September 2004 14:03, Brough, Tom wrote:

How are we going to engage the wider public ?
Entry'ism - become a "Fellow Traveller" :-) - read on!

Are we prepared to co-ordinate our efforts and bring GNU/Linux into the
public domain ?
How do we intent to encourage the next generation ?

A couple of days ago I noticed an appeal in the local paper for volunteers to
help out in a community "Help the Aged" project with the aim of
teaching/polishing elderly folk's computer skills..  As I already help out on
an ad hoc basis, spread by word of mouth, in the area, I decided (without any
ulterior motive) to give some time to helping out.  Here we are of course
talking M$ Windows.

On meeting the organiser and one other volunteer the next day we chatted about
what would be expected of us etc. and basically it boiled down to, "suck it
and see" when the punters arrived next month.

Needless to say all the equipment operates on M$ and delivery of an additional
brand new PC plus software, donated by Bill under some Gov't scheme or other
is awaited.  To cut a long story short, I mentioned that for day to day use I
used Linux (o.k. GNU/Linux).  Instead of their eyes glazing over (like the
blokes in PC World), the reverse happened and I was -ASKED- if I would set up
one of the boxes, with a distro of my choice, so that everyone could see what
Linux could do.

Needless to say, I have agreed.

--
David Bell