Re: [LUG] Re: today's meets and some observations etc.

On Sunday 26 September 2004 4:27, tony@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
DaveNull writes:
We used 56.5 inches for the same reason we use £, tradition, from the
Romans, it was the width of a roman cart wheels.
The Romans came up with that dimension because it was about right for a
cart pulled by two horses.

I am fairly sure this is an urban legend though I can't track the
reference right now.

it is a classic example of a sticky meme, in this case a good one.

debian needs good, sticky, memes.

the more the better, the faster the better.

remember "all you base"?

advertisers know, once a meme becomes stuck it is damn near impossible to
shift it, this is where MS wins and Linux nerds speaking high latin lose.

nothing else counts and nothing trumps installed user base.

cheers