Re: [LUG] today's meets and some observations etc.

I also enjoyed the day and agree with mat (thanks for the event!) (even if it
is a 210mile round trip, thanks Kai for the petrol money :-) ). For me it was
nice to meet other linux users (not just debian) and the whole event inspired
me to install debian testing on my laptop. It was a natural, free running
event with intresting talks (even if i don't completly agree with all the
comments :-) , but thats personal opinion) and helpful people. The event met
my expectations and has got me on the road of debian. I came with questions
regarding debian that were answered for me and found out some other usefull
stuff on the way (zope etc.)

I have not installed debian untill now as i was too lazy to fight through it.
This all changed when i used the netinstaller on firday night, it coudn't
have been easer i burnt one 100mb iso to a cd and booted by laptop from it,
answered some very basic questions and a few hours later ended up with debian
testing. Ok the install was not as colourful as Mandrake but it was as easy
(IMHO i think mandrakes installer is pretty good). The other problem I have
had in the past is non-standard networking hardware which can be problematic
to get going anway so when you only have a 100mb net install image you are
going to struggle. The one advantage mandrake might have is that it is very
customised and contains many third-party kernel modules (out of the box) so
it is often possible to get certain hardware working with out any additonal
work, this is not a fault of debian but the main hurdle for linux as a whole
it the fact that many of these drivers are still alpha/beta quality and when
finished will be integrated into the kernel as modules anyway.

While HURD may not be much practicle use at the moment it is of academic
intrest and I do find it intresting to know "what else is going on" even if i
have no plans of using such a system myself.

Personaly I also like the varity in linux and so will be keeping 1 mandrake
and 1 debian system as i like to see more that just one distro. I think
"linux" is all about choice.

As for my wirless card it is working the best it ever has, on debian, the mix
of tools avaiable and pulling a few things in from apt-get has made a system
where i have to configure one file (my 128-wep key) and everything else is
automagic.

Robin