Re: [LUG] Linux for SPC

Robin Cornelius wrote:

these pit falls (IMHO). (If systems go down in the first 12 months we fix them free anyway). I am also worried about how the customers will interface

My experience with Debian stable (some 3-odd years) is that it just doesn't fall over if the hardware is good. The only issues I've had are with dodgy PSU's, failing Maxtor HDD's and most recently, dodgy DDR memory. The core OS itself seems unbreakable in normal usage (up to 2.4.18 kernel atm)

to such a system, while many people here would regard this as a trival task to access a workstation and read a sql database (over a lan) would customers?

Yes... IF you made it easy to use. People like using a web browser, I've written a fairly comprehensive perl database (non sql, but that's server side and doesn't matter to the user) that's used by many non-technical people over our intranet. Graphical browsers are easy to use and easy to support and I'm convinced that's the best way to display most information to users.