Re: [LUG] creating a mini-LUG

On Tuesday 21 September 2004 2:28 pm, Martin Howitt wrote:
Hi

some of the folks at my workplace (DCC) have expressed the view that they
wanted their own LUG - some of them weren't aware this group existed,
others wanted a group that was based where they worked so they could share
a lunchtime drink with other members.

See the link from the home page: www.lug.org.uk

I would recommend that all members also join DCLUG though.

If you want a website/meeting coordination, you could do worse than the newly
revamped www.meetup.com - you can set up new groups for free now.

Is there any guidance anywhere about the best ways to run such a group and
interface with the "parent" D&C LUG?

The interface will have to be:
1. people like you who are on both lists
2. links from and to each website
3. joint meetings

I'm not able to parse the D&C LUG
mission statement in order to effectively leverage the

We envision to dramatically facilitate parallel technology in order to solve
members' problems.
Our challenge is to continually restore emerging content in order to
professionally network excellent community based services.
Our mission is to continue to dramatically administrate interdependent
leadership skills in order to assertively simplify value-added technology in
order to solve Linux problems.

My translation:

1. Solve each other's problems by advice, scripts, bug reports, patches, etc.
2. Collect our experiences for others to benefit, including non-members.
3. Remain self-sufficient individuals cooperating for the benefit of all.
4. Encourage, generate and promote tools and methods that make it
easier to solve problems to the point where the OS can prevent problems by
automatically implementing solutions during operation/installation.

1. Important emphasis: solve problems by external activity, including sending
bug reports and patches to improve the software itself. The community needs
more developers but remember that patches don't have to be C++, improvements
to the documentation are also sent in via patches.

2. The archive, the Wiki, providing a network of contacts who can help when
you can't find the answer, helping you to find the answer through advice
about how and where to search.

3. The LUG is not a body corporate, the membership is not fixed or closed, it
remains open to all and anyone is free to leave at any time. Nothing about a
LUG should restrict the basic freedoms that we value so highly for the
software itself. (Which is where I have a problem with mini-LUG's that have
membership policies to exclude arbitrary groups/non-employees - hint.)

4. A reflection of 1 - emphasising that our beloved OS will only improve if
the community continues to contribute. If YOU want something to work better,
get involved and see what YOU can do to help. It won't happen any other way.

I would hope that every experienced GNU/Linux user has submitted at least one
bug report in the last 6 months.

If you have a favourite program, you should be on the mailing list for that
program/project - most have user lists as well as developers.

We can all write documentation - if you can compose an email you can post to a
Wiki - so get involved and ASK your favourite project how YOU can help.

If you learnt something for the first time, POST IT somewhere. It will help
the person behind you. We were all newbies once, so now that you've got a
little knowledge, share it out. It'll save time in the long run - the more
information is available the less questions we'll get from the next lot of
newbies!!

:-)

--

Neil Williams