Re: [LUG] /etc/wvdial.conf

On Sunday 12 September 2004 8:11 pm, jondavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Posted by "Jon Davey" <jondavey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi, I`ve managed to get Debian Woody working but having run "wvdialconfig"
as root creating an /etc/wvdial.conf file I am unable to edit this file to
include my isp`s modem bank phone number, my user name and my login
password. I`ve tried editing the file in Emacs, in a superuser mode file
organiser window (forget what it`s called) and opening the file in a
terminal where i`m told the file does`nt exist.

Use su in the terminal to get temporary root permission.

Check the file using:
ls -l /etc/wvdial.conf

Then you have some options, you can:
1. change the permissions on the file, edit it and then change them back
2. Learn Vi and edit the file in Vi (help on DCLUG:documentation) whilst still
as root
3. load the file into Emacs from the command line, still as root. I don't use
Emacs, I can't tell you the syntax but emacs /etc/wvdial.conf is a start.

The answers probably
simple....

This is a system file, it needs protection from users. If this is the only
connection for this system, you need to be root, then edit and save the file.
Something went wrong with your superuser method.

--

Neil Williams