[LUG] When free software looses its way

Hi all,

I am feeling a bit annoyed at the moment as a peice of software i use to use
has suddenly become totaly closed source/commercial. Now the software was
never GPL or anything like that but it was free and the source was avaible,
there use to be a good community on yahoo groups for its support but all this
has slowly been removed. The software is written by a single author (although
they do rely on some other bits) and the comapny they work for has
assimilated the software so they can charge money for it. They are charging
in a clever way you need to buy "support" then you can access the download
page where it is free. I think the minimum support is $4000 yes 4 thousand
dollars.

I am extra annoyed as i contributed some very useful parts to this software
(mostly bolting on LUA scripting). Luckly i still have a copy of the prog but
not any recent source code.

I hope i have horribly misunderstood the situation (which is why i will not
give the name or web address) but i think i should investigate just how much
the software is integrate with LUA and a third-partys software as these might
be GPL licenced and therefor the main app might now be breaking the GPL.

I think the GPL may be intact  by the fact that a "demo" version is avaible
but this lacks one important (external) component that is required to do
anything useful with the software. The external component is a finite element
solver and is totaly standalone , processing output files of the system and
the solver dosn't use any GPL code or libs so i think they have won :-(

That will learn me not to specificly put GPL headers on the top of my
contributed source code!

--

Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx