Re: [LUG] autoroute express

On Sunday 05 September 2004 11:03, Simon Robert wrote:
Does anyone know of a linux alternative to autoroute express? The
products I've been able to find are way overconfigured for my simple
purposes - gps and voice directions etc. All I need is something like
routefinder. Could use the AA website I supose...

I use multimap and GreenFlag websites. Unless you are on dial-up connection, I
can't see any point in a locally installed mapping system that is always out
of date.

Even on dial-up, Green Flag isn't that slow, provided you have the postcodes
for departure and destination points.

http://www.multimap.com/
http://www.greenflag.co.uk/routeplanning/index.asp

BTW. If you use KAddressBook, there is a useful lookup feature that can be
customised to bring up a map or route (from a fixed start point) in
Konqueror, direct from Kontact or KAddress. Your route from home to any
contact with a postcode is then just one click away. Could it be any easier??

Use %z to merge the postcode from the contact into the URL. Try this line:
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?client=public&db=pc&lang=&addr1=&addr2=&advanced=&addr3=&pc=%z&quicksearch=%z&cidr_client=none

(Put it back into one line manually, or use the shortened form:)
http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?pc=%z&client=public&db=pc&quicksearch=%z&cidr_client=none

I'm on KDE 3.3 but the lookup came in with KDE 3.2
(In fact it was easier to use in 3.2! The defaults in 3.3 are awful.)

--

Neil Williams