[LUG] Re: tcpdump

On Thursday 26 August 2004 10:05, you wrote:
Neil Williams writes:
Can you get along to the meeting on Saturday?

I'll try. Since I have only just joined I don't know the time and place
 -- except that it is near Launceston. Mm; bank holiday Saturday ... ??

It's all on the website:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/wiki/?id=August+Meeting

One thing that could be significant. In DOS the client port is 1265, your
client port is 4711 and mine is a whopping 32984. If I were inclined I
could get into the ftp source and change it but surely ftp should just work
dammit.

It's not in the source. Check what I sent last time - the FTP daemon chooses a
different high number port for each session - sometimes each transmission
within a session. This increases efficiency but can confuse some simplistic
firewalls. FTP doesn't have fixed ports, apart from at the beginning.

The list benefits from the full discussion, (hence this is CC'd to the
list), it's better to keep the full thread together for everyone to
benefit and contribute.

You are quite right; it's bad manners to continue a discussion off list.
I'll write the whole story for the list from the beginning as a coherent
narrative and invite comment.

cc'd back onto the list. (We like to see things as they develop rather than as
a fait accompli)

Read Robin's comment on tcpdump and your problems. As I mentioned, there are
people on the list who know more about this than I do!

--

Neil Williams