Re: [LUG] Kaffeine on KDE grabs audio device

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:32:24 +0100, Adrian Midgley wrote:
Kaffeine seems to grab the audio device and nothing else then gets a look in.
Irritating.

Audio device locking is incredibly annoying. I think it is such an acute
problem because of the all too common AC'97 chipset which is the
'Winmodem' of soundcards.

I hate IBM for throwing an AC'97 in their Thinkpad.

Those AC'97s must cost almost nothing.

My experience of the Creative Live! powered by either OSS or ALSA is
that applications can share the device. Which is what should happen. In
hardware. Not stupid software like artsd and esd or whatever !!