From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Jeremy Pearson
Sent: 06 August 2004 14:23
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [LUG] Mail server

I asked a similar question regarding an email server a month or two ago.
Ultimately I installed Debian3, which provided me with Exim (albeit
version
3.35, considered by www.exim.org to be obsolete), qpopper and UW-IMAP as
default applications. I then also installed Apache, PHP4 and
Squirrelmail to
provide webmail access.

I looked at a few other webmail solutions - namely Ilohamail and Horde,
but
Squirrelmail won outright for me due to (a) having a simpler/cleaner
user
interface (we have a number of technophobes here at the school) and (b)
the
availability of lots of plug-ins to add functionality without having to
hack
around in PHP. Everything works together very quickly and very nicely,
and
didn't cost the 5000 quid which was the best quote for the equivalent
Microsoft Exchange solution (& that's with educational licensing).
Surely
every school/college/uni in the country should be running this kind of
set-up?

BTW: I've documented the whole installation & configuration process for
our
mail server - I can pass it on if you think it might be useful? Will
publish
the docs on the school's website once the new version goes live.

Regards;
Jeremy

Jeremy Pearson
IT Technician
Five Islands School, St Mary's, Isles Of Scilly, TR21 0JY
Tel: 01720 422929
Fax: 01720 422969
Email: jeremypearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx