Re: [LUG] Restoring default permissions

On Sunday 01 August 2004 8:00, Peter James wrote:
I've been fiddling about with the permissions on evolution, trying to
understand how they work etc.  Now I want to restore the permissions to
the default settings.  Other than a complete re-install is there any way
that this can be done.  I foolishly didn't make a note of the defaults
before fiddling.  It's no big deal I guess, I can always re-install.

Lesson: make a tarball of the config and store it somewhere, just in case,
before fiddling.

Solution: hopefully, someone else using Evolution will pipe up with a default
config listing. Generally, for email clients and most other programs that
store data per user in directories below ~ :
Files: chmod 644 is a catch-all, chmod 600 is for the security minded.
Directories: chmod 755 and chmod 700 respectively.

Any file containing anything to do with passwords, encryption etc. should be
chmod 600, directories chmod 700.

--

Neil Williams