Re: [LUG] Excel mangles genes draft letter

On Saturday 17 July 2004 22:32, Andrew Shelley wrote:
I wonder how Gnumeric handles that data?

Pretty well it seems. To fill an idle moment, I tried their sample data
(SEPT2) in gnumeric, with every cell format option, and none of them
changed the data.

To the editor The Register.  (or maybe to BioMedSci??)

Sir,

You reported (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/07/16/excel_vanishing_dna/)
that DNA data had been damaged by the helpful automatic formatting features
of the Microsoft Excel spreadsheet application.

We experimented with loading a sample of the data into the GNU Foundation Free
(libre) Software spreadsheet application Gnumeric with various cell
formatting options.

In no case was any corruption of the DNA data observed.

The argument over the model of development of software for scientific use -
whether like Gnumeric it should be produced in an open source peer reviewed
way, or like Excel it should be secret and proprietary, the correctness of
its algorithms garanteed by the reputation of the company selling it will not
be resolved today.  In this one instance however, we submit that the Free
(libre) software approach has provided a better tool.

Signed
Members of the Devon and Cornwall Linux user Group.

Wadda you think?
--
Adrian Midgley                   Open Source software is better
GP, Exeter                       http://www.defoam.net/