Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

On 08/07/04 17:47:14, alan wrote:
On 2004.07.08 09:41 mike wrote:
G'day all,

I have the following...

inet

firewall--dmz

smtp

email comes in and is routed to my dmz sendmail which does spam blocking etc, once it gets through there it's forwarded to my email on smtp (which does a load of stuff other than email).

The issue is that if someone sends an email to either a user that does not exist on smtp or trys the relay mail it bounces.

The smtp in the dmz just forwards everything using the smarthost feature in sendmail to smtp.
smtp bounces it back to dmz with either user known or relaying denied.
I then have to go and delete the stuff from dmz every so often. I suppose I could just .forward the email to /dev/null, but there must be a better solution.

Hi Mike,

I would have the non-existant users go to /dev/null but there isn't much you can do about the relay bounces. In my experience (currently 4 web/mail servers ) most mail thats trying for relay is spam with a spoofed header, so you end up with exactly the same amount of Postmaster Notify messages as you are getting bad relays.

Can't you block port 25 for every one except your required ip(s) ?

Cheers

alan

Ah!

I have just discovered something....

Same setup above...

Mail comes into mik@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, this address does not exist, so it try to reply to the user that it does not exist, but the smtp server behind the firewall thinks this is relaying because the mail came from the smtp server in the DMZ.

Does this mean that if I allow 10.whatever.it.is to relay