Re: [LUG] August Meeting - keysigning

On Sunday 11 July 2004 8:05, Robin Cornelius wrote:
Hoping to make it, some key signing would be nice.

For those new to the list and/or GnuPG:
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/startgnupg.html#gnupg
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/startgnupg.html#sign
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_doc/gnupgsign.html#start
http://www.dclug.org.uk/linux_adm/gnupg.html#purpose
http://www.cryptnet.net/fdp/crypto/gpg-party.html

Robin

In addition to anyone new on the list using GnuPG/PGP, I'd like to encourage
these keysignings amongst those who have already indicated they should be
able to attend.

Michael Callaghan 0x8D86B65E - to be signed by Robin + Simon
Simon Waters 0x8F455606 to be signed by Robin + Michael
Robin Cornelius 0x3B7EE764 to be signed by Michael + Simon

David Johnson:
If you're still using GnuPG, please bring printed fingerprint and photo ID.
To be signed by me, Neil S., Michael, Robin, Simon.

Richard - are you still using GnuPG?

Also, if these GnuPG users are able to attend:

Neil S:
To please update the signature on Simon's key because it was made before
Simon's key expiry was extended. Needs GnuPG >=1.2.3 (Just means to sign
Simon's key, GnuPG will update the sig - it's currently listed as an expired
sig and ignored for the Web of Trust).
To sign Michael + Robin
To be signed by Michael, Robin + Simon.

Dave Morgan:
Are you able to get to the August meeting?
To be signed by Neil S., Simon, Robin and Michael.
To sign: Robin and Michael.

Adrian, Phil, Kai, Tony, James,  Luke, Mark, Gemma - if any of you are able to
attend, please bring the usual keysigning bits:
Photo ID
printed copies of your key fingerprints (all your keys).

Mark: to sign and be signed by: Robin, Michael, Neil S. (+Adrian, Kai, Phil,
Luke, James, Tony, Gemma)
Tony: to sign and be signed by: Robin, Michael, Simon, Neil S. (+Adrian, Kai,
Luke, James,  Gemma)
James: to sign  Simon, Neil S. (+Adrian, Kai, Phil, Tony)
and be signed by: Michael (+Gemma, Adrian, Kai, Phil)
Luke: to sign and be signed by everyone except me.
Adrian (if you are able to make it): to sign and be signed by everyone except
me. (whichever of your key(s) you want, possibly all.)
Phil (if you are able to make it):  to sign and be signed by everyone except
me and Tony.

Closer to the time, I'll run off a keysigning sheet that lists the Name, UID
and fingerprint of each key belonging to an attendee. Then, all you need to
do is verify that the fingerprint matches the one given to you by that
person, face-to-face, and that the photo ID is genuine and correct. Mark the
sheet to remind you which keys you have verified and sign each one when you
get home - not forgetting to send the signed key to subkeys.pgp.net (As a
result of requests from the GnuPG developers on the gnupg-users mailing list,
I'd also recommend everyone using GnuPG to switch their default keyserver to
subkeys.pgp.net).

A note about keys with multiple UID's:
to sign the key:
$ gpg --edit-key KEYID
Now select the UID that you are going to sign. Remember that you should only
select a UID containing an email address that you have already verified by
correspondence. (This UID will be indicated on the sheet as the one
containing the email address currently used on the DCLUG list).
Commandi> uid 1
To sign other UIDs, toggle between the UIDs as appropriate. Now sign the UID:
Command> sign

You shouldn't sign all UID's on a key unless you have verified each one
separately - this usually involves sending an encrypted message containing
some random text to each email address and asking for a reply signed with the
key in question and containing the exact random text.

--

Neil Williams