Re: [LUG] sendmail rejects

On 08/07/04 22:18:42, Simon Waters wrote:

mike wrote:
| On 08/07/04 17:47:14, alan wrote:
|
| I wonder how I can /dev/null the bounces and non-existant users?

Mail to non-existent users should bounce, so that people know the email
wasn't delivered.

Not too sure about this, since non-existent users on my SMTP server are 'probably' spam.
But in general, I agree.

Almost invariably sending email to /dev/null is a mistake (or at least a
last resort).

I agree.

I'm not quite clear what your problem is - if you mean that it goes into
the outgoing mail queue on DMZ and stays there because the senders
address is spoofed - that is okay it should automatically time out of
the queue eventually (although I have a sendmail install that doesn't do
this reliably at work as well - time to go Postfix!).

No, the SMTP server in the DMZ is acting as a proxy and after doing some filtering passes everything else on to my 'real' SMTP server.
Mail that is not identified as spam get through, if this email gets through is trying to relay, my 'real' SMTP server rejects it back to the SMTP server in the DMZ, which ends up is the root account with a 'not allowed to relay' message.
So either the mail is rejected, good or gets forwarded, but sometimes it comes back as a bounce.

Hmm, I wondered when postfix was going to rear it's head.
I like sendmail, it awkward and cumbersome, but I seem to be able to get to do what I want fairly easily.

This is the first item I have come unstuck with.
I wonder if it is because I took the easy route and told the DMZ:SMTP to use the one the safe zone as a smarthost.

Most MTA have a system so that such double bounces can be sent to the bitbucket - which is one of the few exceptions to my earlier comment.

In general, I have not found a simple doc. that explains how to setup a SMTP proxy for any SMTP server. It can't be that hard...
I want a spam filtering with blackhole filtering in a DMZ that forwards to my real SMTP behind the firewall.