[LUG] How to boycott Microsoft/MSN search

This message archived at:
http://www.politechbot.com/2004/07/06/boycott-msn-search/

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: [PoliTech] A Finger in the Eye of Microsoft Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 00:59:57 -0500 From: Matthew Hunter <matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> To: Declan McCullagh <declan@xxxxxxxx>

I thought this might interest some of the people on PoliTech.

-----

If you're a techie, like me, you've probably noticed that
Microsoft has been making a lot of noise about competing with
Google these days. Yahoo, too, has been active. In general, the
search engine space is starting to heat up again after several
years of google-dominance. And if you're running a website, for
yourself or for someone else, you've probably seen the Microsoft
search bot in your server logs. At least, you have if you pay
attention to your server logs and Microsoft can find your site
yet.

Now, don't get me wrong, competition is a good thing... but
competition from Microsoft is not. We all know that competition
from Microsoft involves things like "cutting off their air
supply" and aggressively wielding their desktop muscle and huge
cash reserves to get a foothold in the new market. Google's an
established player, but it's facing a fair amount of competition
and the current IPO can perhaps be taken as a hint that they are
vulnerable -- that is, sufficiently in need of cash that it might
affect their ability to respond to new players.

So it looks like Microsoft is trying to extend its overbearing
self into the search engine space, and the target at the top of
the list is Google. Now, as a Linux user, I understand two things
about this situation: first, Microsoft is not my friend; and
second, Google has been a very good friend.

So here's what I have to say: from now on, the Microsoft search
bot will be specifically excluded from my web sites via the
robots.txt file. The following entry should accomplish this:

Disallow: /

What that means is that I won't allow Microsoft's search engine
to index my websites. Google can, yahoo can... but Microsoft
can't. It's the website owner's version of an invisible boycott.
And if enough people do it, the Microsoft search engine will find
itself unable to search large segments of the web. And that means
that people who notice this won't want to search using
Microsoft's search engine.

-----

The full article is on my weblog, here:
http://matthew.infodancer.org/weblog/entry/103.jsp

-- Matthew Hunter (matthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx) Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt Homepage: http://matthew.infodancer.org/index.jsp Politics: http://www.triggerfinger.org/weblog/index.jsp