Re: [LUG] Selling shells

Kai Hendry wrote:

by shells I take it you mean shell accounts, perhaps lug members would be interested, that would or should solve the problem of the wrong people getting access to a system, secondly, as some are still at school any upper vi form going on to uni would perhaps find a shell account esp useful if doing computer science or other computer subject.

just an idea

paul

I have a debian unstable machine on a very fast link [1]. It's my own
built machine but the fixed price connectivity is costing me quite a
bit. So I thought I would offer some shells on the market place.

But is there a market place for shells?

They are extremely useful. I use it for hosting my subversion repository
as well my websites. But today most people just use a interface for
hosting and what have you. I can just imagine warzers, spammers or at
best irc bot people being only then interested. :/ Perhaps I should
offer blog hosting or at least spell out what you can do with use cases.
Hmmm, what do people want, that the big boys can't do. Perhaps use the
shell to backup your mail ?

Ideally I would want to attract cutting edge developers. A community as
such, but no free software community expects to pay nowadays. Perhaps
sponsorship is the key. But how the hell do you get a sponsor? Nothing
seems tangible for a small scale online business.

Any thoughts?

[1] http://natalian.org/archives/2004/06/29/debian-unstable-shells/