Re: [LUG] colour in bash print/echo statements?

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 12:58, Peter Walker wrote:
Neil Williams wrote:
When you've got a bash script or perl script running in bash that produces
reams of output (e.g. if you logged it all to a file it would be 30k per
run) is there any way of adapting the script to produce certain sections
in colour?

The short answer is yes :-)

e.g. critical error reports in red, success in green, warnings in magenta
or cyan.

I would have thought that the colourising(?) method would depend on how
you are viewing the log file.

Sorry, I should have been clearer - it isn't in a log file, it's coming to the
screen direct. It's a script that looks for bad servers, so it hangs a lot. I
can't output to a log file because I'd never know when it's hung.

There are programs that will colourize logs files saved on disk, what I'm
looking for is a method of getting bash to print in colour WITHOUT going to
file.

--

Neil Williams