Re: [LUG] simplifying mailing list messages

On Monday 28 June 2004 2:59, Adrian Midgley wrote:
over and over again, and then keeping many copies of it, it occurs to me I
could pipe email from the rules I use to determine which folder to put mail
from the list into, through a sed expression that recognised
and dropped them, and the variant bit between them, and then lost
as well.

But is sed the right one for this or is there something better?

Depends how well you already know sed. Perl could do the same thing. You
should experiment with existing mail carefully though - Perl (and probably
sed) are greedy by nature and if the chosen markers appear anywhere else in
the message, the largest possible section will be erased.

Then, the inevitable slight change in the content and you need a second
regexp. It could be a never ending task. It's not an easy thing to automate.

--

Neil Williams