[LUG] Shorewall/IPSEC problems

Hi all,

I am trying to lockdown (securely) a wireless network. I can't get WEP to work
(which i am not that bothered about anyway) and I am using IPSEC/x509
encryption. I am having some firewall issues with a system running a 2.6
kernel (i.e native IPSEC stack, no klips). What happens is as a encrypted
(ESP) packet appears on interface eth0 (as an ESP packet), it gets decrypted
and then appears as the real unencrypted packed on eth0(same interface),
firewalling nighmare. What i am attempting to do is mark (ESP) packets which
i am lead to believe, the mark will stay with the packet even after
decryption. In my shore wall tcrules i have :-

1:P             eth0            0.0.0.0/0       ESP

and (as shorewall has limited support for traffic shaping) in my shorewall
(/etc/shorewall/start) i have :-

iptables -I all2all -i eth0 -m mark --mark 1 -j ACCEPT

(also for the record I only allow UDP500 and ESP in/out on eth0 (exposed to
the wireless network). This allows me to access the server from a wireless
client but i cannot get through to the internet (shorewall blocks me). With
all the security off I can access the internet. if i disable either the line
in tcrules OR the line in start i can no longer access the server so the mark
is working. What i get from shorewall is :-

Jun 19 22:35:32 localhost kernel: Shorewall:all2all:REJECT:IN=eth0 OUT=ppp0
SRC=192.168.1.3 DST=158.152.1.43 LEN=45 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=63 ID=0 DF
PROTO=UDP SPT=32777 DPT=53 LEN=25

So it appears when the packet is forwarded across interfaces the packet mark
is lost? Anybody know *anything* about this? or packet marking?

Many thanks

Robin