[LUG] USB Print Server

Hi All,

I've got some progress on this thanks to Grant.  For those who don't
know the problem a brief recap:

MDK10
Origo BRP 1400 router with built in USB print server
Laptop and desktop both running same OS
HP Deskjet 940C using CUPS+GIMP-Print v4.2.6

Actually looking at that last entry, the printer HAS worked before on a
Centronics based Pritne server under MDK 9.1, but I have a suspicion the
setting was CUPS+foo (something I've forgotten).

Both computers connect to the router via Ethernet LAN ports, and send
data to the print server via that connection.  Therefore as Grant said,
it should be possible to send data to the printer in Linux provided I
know what port to use and what protocol.

NMAPFE says the port 515 is open for the Printer.  So logically if I
connect to 192.168.1.1 on port 515 it should work.  Well I tried
entering the url in CUPS of:

lpd://192.168.1.1:515/lp

No joy.  Now that could be (to my limited knowledge of Linux) one of two
things:

1.  Printer does not communicate via LPD
2.  Printer queue is wrong

Does anyone have any suggestions on debugging this little perisher?

Kind regards,

Julian