Re: [LUG] Linux distro - help needed

Adrian Midgley wrote:
On Saturday 15 May 2004 17:22, jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I'm the ICT technician for the Five Islands School on the Isles of Scilly,
and I'm looking to build a mail server based on the Linux platform. Does
anoyone know of any "out of the box" distros which would be specifically
suited to this?

There is a specific SuSE distribution for email service.
I've not used it, but I like SuSE, although Debian and Gentoo are clearly even
more the Brahmin...

I'm becoming a Debian bigot - last time I looked they were introducing
packages which bundle various bits of email integration together, i.e.
the kind of stuff you'd usually have to patch and recompile Postfix from
source to get enabled.

Perhaps not quite as "Out of the Box" as you want, but if you do end up
needing POP before SMTP, or other weird and wonderful email features
Debian's "apt" tool is your friend, either getting you prebuilt
solutions, or for grabbing current source code as easily.

Over to Mark E. who has a much better idea what schools are doing with
email these days ;)