Re: [LUG] using the spare pair in telephone cable for Ethernet

Mark Evans wrote:
Kelly Jones wrote:

Has anyone actually done this?

I have a client with his office in the garden and I need to add Ethernet
from the house to the office 9 metres way in his garden.  The office does
not have line of sight with the house and I suspect wireless would be too
expensive to get a decent result.  I am faced with digging his garden
up to
bury the cable.  However he does have two phone sockets and I have heard
that the spare pair in the phone cable can be used for Ethernet.  It's
something I have been meaning to test for ages but never got round to it.

Are you sure you havn't confused this with using one of the spare pairs
on 10/100M ethernet to carry a phone line?

Wireless would probably be two wireless cards - so about 60 quid - but
it will be slow 5 Mbps realistically at that price. 9 meters should be
fine if it is just a couple of ordinary brick walls in the way.

802.11g might be faster and more expensive - but no idea how it works
with brick walls and the like.

I wonder which is less reliable wireless, or using inappropriate cabling ;)

Go on dig - it'll be good for you.

Simon