Re: [LUG] using the spare pair in telephone cable for Ethernet

Hows this?

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lre/cpehig1/cpecable.htm

Paul

Kelly Jones wrote:

Has anyone actually done this?

I have a client with his office in the garden and I need to add Ethernet
from the house to the office 9 metres way in his garden.  The office does
not have line of sight with the house and I suspect wireless would be too
expensive to get a decent result.  I am faced with digging his garden up to
bury the cable.  However he does have two phone sockets and I have heard
that the spare pair in the phone cable can be used for Ethernet.  It's
something I have been meaning to test for ages but never got round to it.

Anyone care to comment?

Best Regards
Kelly Jones
Computer Consultant

Legally privileged/Confidential Information may be contained in this message. If you are not the addressee(s) legally indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, you should destroy this message, and notify us immediately. If you or your employer does not consent to Internet e-mail messages of this kind, please advise us immediately. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this message are not given or endorsed by my firm or employer unless otherwise indicated by an authorised representative independent of this message. Please note that despite using the latest virus software, neither my employer nor I accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to scan attachments (if any).

---