Re: [LUG] Colo

David Pithouse wrote:

I am currently thinking of coloing a box with a company, looking mainly at a Sun RAQ3 or RAQ4 anyone have any experience of these?

Yup. I own a RaQ3. There are a few things you ought to be aware of:

* Sun no longer support the RaQ3, so there are no more security updates.
* Cobalt Linux has a modified kernel, which breaks compatibility with some programs
* If you wish to retain the GUI, don't try changing the Perl version

If you wipe Cobalt OS and replace it with a mainstream distro, then you avoid all of these problems: but then is it not reduced to just overpriced commodity hardware?

Cheers,

Jon