Re: [LUG] Sinbad, the movie, All Linux and new zaurus

Think I'll give this one a miss. A manual untranslated and in Japanese?
Its hard enough understanding them when they are in English (?), and
syncing software that is not only untranslated from the Japanese but not
understandable by a native speaker?

It reminds me of a recent review in Linux Format for a Linux based
Laptop. The thing was twice as expensive as an equivalent "Windows"
laptop of the same spec would have been and wasn't properly configured
anyway, yet the reviewer thought it was wonderful. That's what having
low expectations does for you.

We really have got to stop kidding ourselves that just because someone
occasionally releases something with a Linux base, that it is
automatically fantastic. Crap is crap in anyone's book and should be
avoided like the plague. A penguin sticker on the box doesn't
necessarily make it quality.

The real test is "Fit for use" and quite frankly most of the linux based
end-user hardware I've seen quite simply - doesn't yet meet that low
standard.

As for the argument that we should support anything that advances the
cause - does hardware and software that doesn't cut the mustard really
advance the cause of open source? I don't think so. In fact it harms it
by providing ammunition to the detractors.

Carl