Re: [LUG] Hardware questions - PC power - Wireless adaptors

On Saturday 24 April 2004 6:14, Simon Waters wrote:
Basic question..... it just never arose before.

All the PC's I've had before have two types of power cable from the
power supply, small ones and large ones (excuse the deep technical

you mean power_supply -> motherboard?

(the power_supply -> peripheral (CD etc.) are interchangeable/convertable).
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/32405i0.jpg
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?QV=&CartID=040424183818449&moduleno=32405

This motherboard: (centre-bottom, next to the CPU)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/37092i0.jpg
has the old(?) style power connector - the one that often comes on two cables
from the power supply and has the notch on the plug and a latch on the
motherboard socket.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040424183818449&moduleno=37092&Products=1

This motherboard has both: (top, far right, behind the RAM sockets.)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/37371i0.jpg

My new PC has only the larger sort, but one of the devices I was hoping
to move across uses the smaller power connector.

? So you mean the peripheral device power connectors? This one will convert a
large to small:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/media/largeimages/32405i0.jpg

--

Neil Williams