[LUG] Mandrake10 First Impressions

Firstly the problems with the installer i mailed a couple of days ago with
were caused by a problem with the disk detection perl module that was getting
very confused by the presence of a USB CD-writer and seemed to be having a go
at /dev/sr0. Unplugging this during the first stages allowed that to proceed.

Secondly it took me AGES to get my speedtouch modem working, the fact the
speed touch kernel module is in 2.6.X did not help when the supplied RPM
package is the userspace stuff that conflicts with the kernel stuff. In the
end I used the kernel module part of the user space package and a bit of a
tar.ball. nice!

After that it was plain sailing!, it seems VERY fast, but this is likely to
being a clean install with a minimum number of things running compared to my
old system and KDE3.2 with the Galaxy stuff is looking quite nice. I can boot
to a fully working desktop in about 1/4 the time that XP takes to get to the
logon screen.

And finally, it looks like Mandrake are getting there release act together, it
appears that from their website and my poking around that they are now
running MDK10 from a development/stable branch so it looks like we may get
three versions a full release, a stable develo branch and a unstable devel
branch, if the packagers are disiplined then it should be a case of just
updating the packages agains the development/stable to keep upto date, just
like the debian folks do.

Regards

Robin