Re: [LUG] mail oddness

Simon Waters <Simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

James Keasley wrote:
trying to reply to a message on the list I keep getting this error
message:

  list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT TO:<list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
    host io.tertial.org [212.67.198.131]: 550 relay not permitted

not entirely sure why this is happening, but hopefuly it won't
happen this time.

could this be an issue specifically to do with replying to mails
on the list?

io.tertial.org is listed as a backup MX for the domain dclug.org.uk, and
apparently not configured as a backup, so probably the main mail servers
was unavailable.

Backup MX'es that don't know about the list of valid users(!) are a
waste of bandwidth, and should all be deleted from the DNS ASAP.

(Alex?)

Actually, as I began to suspect when I checked my mail queue and found that
there were other replies stuck in there as well, the problem was at my end.

I removed isdnutils and diald from the install and everything is working
fine now. A bit of a bizaare interaction, which I can't figure out right
now, but as eveything is working properly I'm not going to poke around
too much ;)

--
James                                           jamesk[at]homeric[dot]co[dot]uk

Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories...(Steven Wright)