Re: [LUG] Hot swapping hard drives

On Friday 12 March 2004 11:25, James Wonnacott wrote:
I'm considering building a machine with a hot swappable drive bay (IDE)
so I can
use several drives for backup purposes.
I'm told by someone who's tried this that he couldn't get Linux to see
the
changed drives without a reboot. He was using a promise card.
Anyone out there got any experience/advice please before I go spending
money.

I do a lot of sneakernet (walking data from one box to another ...) and, until
very recently, I've done it with caddied IDE drives (starting with 75GB ones
wich were the biggest I could get at the time, and now 250GB ones).

I stuck with those mainly because I was doing a lot of NT stuff, and NT
doesn't do PnP, so more interesting technologies were out - if it wasn't
there at boot, it was never really going to be there...)

Now I'm (mainly) using Linux I've discovered the joys of the USB 2.0 or
FireWire drive. Substantially slower than IDE (not that I've measured it
yet), but it's really great to be able to dismount a drive from one box, plug
it into another, and mount it there immediately.

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK