[LUG] Fixing Windows with linux

- There has been work to allow a user to intergrate the Win Recovery
Console into a linux boot cd. The only real function useful from the RC
without a recovery disk (how do you make that anyway?!) is the "fixboot"
command; not to be confused with "fixmbr", which is also possible by
"fdisk /mbr".

- It is quite possible to use linux to mount your ntfs/fat partition and
copy data off to USB|HD|NETWORK. As far as I know there is nothing
available to rescue information by booting off removable storage and
burning a CD.

- NTFS write support is possible with NT4 and (I think Win2k?) but not yet
with  WinXP NTFS partitions. Support may come along but we've got Win2004
on the way! :(( The closest option desperate users have is the NTFS
read/write driver from Sysinternals
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsdospro.shtml
- the read only version is free.

I would love to be able to go to a friends house with a linux CD and
allow them to burn off thier vital data to CD. Maybe next time they might
learn to partition off more important data and backup.

However, I don't think there's a removeable storage based distro that can
burn CDs. Would anyone be interested in helping me make one?

Here's my thread on knoppix forums:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=39926#39926

Many thanks.