Re: [LUG] BT VOYAGER 100

On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 08:04:53PM +0000, Craig Gile wrote:
Worked my way through the 43 synch.bins for BT Voyager 100, no luck.
Going to go a different route. Can anyone suggest something to connect
to BTBroadband with 3 computers, 2 linux and one Windoze. Kind of a ADSL
Modem/Network Hub. Also a link to installation help, I know I'll need

Any ADSL router will do the job. I'm using a SpeedTouch 530 from Eclipse but
any ADSL router with at least 1 ethernet port will be fine.

It doesn't matter what you are running, any OS that can use an ethernet
port can use any ADSL ethernet router. That's what ethernet is all
about. The differences come down to only two things:
1. Cost
2. Number of ethernet ports.

If you already have a hub or switch, the 530 is fine. It has 1 ethernet
port, that connects to the switch via a short patch cable and everything
else plugs into the switch. Set the default route and bingo. Internet.
The built-in firewall is fine and you don't need to (although you can if
you like) configure any DNS. A lot of routers will want to use
192.168.0.1 as their default IP but that can be changed. The interface
itself is almost universally HTML, albeit with a liberal use of
Javascript. Konqueror and Mozilla are more than capable.

--

Neil Williams