Re: [LUG] Spam and fog

Adrian Midgley wrote:

I had the idea that passing the body of emails through the style and diction tools from the writers' workbench and rejecting those that had high GUnning Fog indexes or other indications of bad style etc might screen out those that have a text part composed of a meaningless stream of random and otherwise interesting non-spammy words.

But at present they tend to be all lower case and the filters (being picky about grammar as one would expect) simply report "No sentences found."

Rejecting any mail that triggers that report would have lost me one genuine mail this week. (from ee cummings - not really)

I would like to see something done at the Internet level regarding spam.

I should imagine that an Internet node could detect emails that have many recipients or detect a flood of similar emails, these are likely to be spam. Discarding these emails prevents further propagation and reduces Internet traffic.

The only option at the moment is to receive all email and then discard the spam at the recipients PC.

Drifting off topic somewhat, I seem to receive paper junk mail (usually offering credit cards). I write on these "Remove this address from mailing list" and send them back in the supplied pre-paid envelope. But I still receive junk mail.

I'm considering creating an Open Source Software promotional flyer and sending them in the pre-paid envelopes. We could promote GNU/Linux for free!

Regards
Andrew