[LUG] How to *really* kill processes?

For some reason, Samba has decided to spawn literally hundreds of processed which are now in "D" state (not sure what that means). Although the CPU and swap are almost completely idle, my system load is running at around 300 and strange things are happening (like it dropping my SSH connection when I tried to log in).

I'll probably have to restart this time, but in future, how can I kill processes that just won't die? I've already tried "killall -9 smbd".

TIA,

Jon