[LUG] NetWaiting + modem on hold

Linux is not currently a supported operating system. The Caller ID function of the modem is only supported with the Netwaiting software, which is a Windows only program. It may be some time before Linux programmers are able to get a Modem On Hold application working for V.92 modems for your flavor of Linux.

That was the response from Zoom Modem Tech Support in answer to a query I sent them.

I use a Compaq5100 Pro Workstation loaded with Mandrake V.9.0 Kernel 2.4 19-16 linux-smp. Also have my old Windows 95 box which has PCI version of Zoom 3025 which comes with NetWaiting and Modemonhold. Works OK with all bells & whistles and is just what I need on my dial up connection to Telewest. The 3049 External Modem works OK out of the box on the Compaq5100 but I cannot load the NetWaiting and MOH programmes which I need from the CD

Anybody who can suggest a fairly simple solution to the problem will do me a big favour. My own thoughts run on four solutions.

1) network the two box on a lan and connect to net via Windows Box.
2) delve into the murky depths (and for me uncharted waters) of WINE /SAMBA
3) have extracted NetWaiting files onto disk - possible conversion of these files to suitable format.
4) bring the whole kaboodle to next install fest.

At the present time have large quantities of egg on face as I persuaded several of my fellow silver surfers to switch to Linux and as they, with one exception ,use Telewest Dial up and are anxious to use the V92 protocol now available to them are not pleased.(understatement of the month)

I realise this problem is probably not of interest to the bulk of List Members so please feel free to email me direct if you wish. Thanks in Advance. Phil from Frome.