[LUG] Securing my wireless network

Hi All,

I am attempting to secure my wireless network but have hit a major snag. I am
using IPSEC with x509 encryption/authentication on both ends but I am using a
2.6 kernel on my desktop machine. The 2.6 kernels have native ipsec built in
where as pre 2.4 it was necessary to use a 3rd party ipsec stack.

What happens is that netfilter (on the 2.6 system) sees two packets for every
transmission, it sees the encrypted ESP packet and the unencrypted packet on
the same eth0 interface. If i allow ESP packets in from my unsecure network
they get decrypted then rejected as normal tcp/udp packets. If i also allow
normal tcp/udp packets through the firewall then anybody not using ipsec can
"drive by" attack my system, unless i lock it down like a public internet
connection (bye bye to my nfs share!). The old 3rd party system
(freeswan/KLIPS) only saw ESP packets on eth0: and then produced unencrypted
packets on ipsec0: dead easy to firewall.

Now is there any way to route packets through netfilter? can i take all ESP
packets on eth0 place them in a different chain and some how make them
reappear as a virtual interface? I have seen quite a number of other people
with this problem and the only answer seems to be change your firewall
settings to use the new scheme of things!, which as far as i can see breaks
half the point of the encryption/authentication.

Thanks for any sugesstions

Robin