Re: [LUG] Compaq Proliant problems

On 11.02.2004 11:01 James Wonnacott wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: 11 February 2004 10:12
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [LUG] Compaq Presario problems

On 11.02.2004 08:20 James Wonnacott wrote:
I've recently aquired a Compaq Presario 4000 which
I'm trying to put Mandrake 9.2 on. I use Mandrake on
several servers in the school and want to keep 'em all the same.

The problem I'm having is firstly that it only seems to see 16M of
memory. After a bit of Googling I've tried various options such as
mem=192M and append="mem=176M 16M" It then doesn't seem to
get as far
into install but throws up:- Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to
mount root
fs 0n 01:03 which makes me think it has a problem with the array.

What sort of disk controller do you have and disks for that matter?

32 bit Compaq SMART-2/P Rev. C Array Controller

HD1 Compaq HD00431731
HD2 Compaq ST34501WC
HD3 Compaq HD00431731

Yes, all this smacks of the BIOS being incorrect.
Get the smart start CD.
It could be that Disk array is not setup.

--
'ooroo

Email: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx        o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should use  >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
the hammer. If it moves and      `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\