Re: [LUG] EXETER MEETING

On Wed, Feb 11, 2004 at 03:49:48AM -0500, PeterPETERLJ@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hi  Newbiee Here,

I am looking fwd to  going to the meeting in Exeter, apart from a hopfull
expression and some blank CDs! what should I bring?  (The blank CDs as I seem
only able to transfer Text from aol, binary seems to go tits up.)

If you have a laptop, bring it along. If you have issues with software
configuration / installation on your Linux installation (we ain't
touching your Windows/AOL combo!) and can bring the box, do so. Most
boxes will boot and run fine without a monitor - and just as long as you
have telnet or SSH installed and running beforehand! If you have
problems with a GUI application rather than general configuration, try
to bring your monitor too.

This meeting is really about helping new members who expressed interest
in some assistance with getting started. Advice and talk is fine but
this kind of meeting works best if those with queries are able to bring
their existing system. That way, we can help YOU fix it because all the
logs and error messages are available. It's hard to solve problems when
all you can bring are the symptoms because sometimes it's more than one
possible problem.

Expect lots of advice about alternate ISP's too. AOL might be friendly
to Windows users but all that hand-holding gets in the way of learning.

Peter