[LUG] Compaq Presario problems

I've recently aquired a Compaq Presario 4000 which
I'm trying to put Mandrake 9.2 on. I use Mandrake on
several servers in the school and want to keep 'em all the same.

The problem I'm having is firstly that it only seems to see 16M
of memory. After a bit of Googling I've tried various options
such as mem=192M and append="mem=176M 16M" It then doesn't seem
to get as far into install but throws up:-
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs 0n 01:03
which makes me think it has a problem with the array.

I don't have the original Compaq setup disks that came with the
server (not suprisingly)

Any suggestions? (I've already had the usual ones "Use it as a
doorstop/target practice")

Thanks
James