Re: [LUG] Windows worm to attack SCO

On Wednesday 28 Jan 2004 10:51 pm, Neil Williams wrote:
I'm not sure how to view this one. OK, it talks about SCO so it is Linux
related, it talks about Windows so it's off topic (there is no threat to
DOS, Linux, Macintosh, OS/2, UNIX or Windows 3.x - although Linux mail
servers will take the burden of filtering the extra junk.) The attack
concerns me because it paints SCO as a victim and potentially harms the
picture of the Linux community in the SCO shenanigans.

However, call me cynical, but when SCO has been paying good money to make
Linux users look like system crackers and cyber-terrorists
(http://www.technewsworld.com/perl/story/31899.html), could it even by a
classic conspiracy theory? - SCO creating / sponsoring a (later to be
discovered as) painless/empty attack on themselves as a bit of classic PR?

(OK, after reading reports from Symantec and El Reg, I'd discount the
conspiracy - this doesn't look like an empty threat.)

While there are the usual people crying "conspiracy" (as per usual when
anything SCO-related happens), I have to wonder whether this time they might
be right. This all looks a little too convenient for SCO.

Firstly, the virus attacks SCO's website and the -B variant attacks
Microsoft.com as well. Just the kind of thing these Linux-using-terrorists
would do.
Then, according to an analysis I read, the virus does not spread to any e-mail
address containing certain strings, including "linux", "unix" and "root". Oh
come on. Anyone writing a virus clearly wants to cause maximum disruption;
why would they care who gets affected? If it had indeed been written by a
Linux-using-terrorist, they would realise that there's no point excluding
*nix related addresses because they are naturally not likely to be running
Windows at the other end...

Or maybe the conspiracy theorists have got to me, and I'm just talking rubbish
;-)

I noticed it because I've already noticed several copies in incoming email
- some of which were caught by SpamAssassin. I didn't do any more with it
until I received an email from my webhost identifying the worm.

I noticed it spreading using my e-mail address as the from address and
spoofing the first received entry to look like it came from my domain on the
day the virus first appeared in the wild. Nice.

It is already the fastest spreading virus ever according to El Reg. I suspect
spammers are to blame for this; one infected machine = a hard disk containing
several million e-mail addresses to spread to.

From my webhost message:
One final piece of advice. If you receive any emails from, or to, an
unknown person with an attachment, it is probably safest to delete the
email.

probably? delete first, ask questions later I'd say!

Anyone who opens an attachment without knowing exactly what it is deserves
everything they get.

David.