Re: [LUG] Hosts or DNS to handle home and away machine

On Wednesday 28 Jan 2004 12:19 am, Adrian Midgley wrote:
Is there a way to set up routing from here to a PC that has a fixed IP
address when it is at its owner's university, and when it comes back here
gets a different address?

It runs DHCP, and the DHCP server here is the router rather than a Linux
box - but that could be changed.

Currently I use hosts files rather than DNS, but that also could be
changed.

The default is to edit the master hosts file on each return but i wonder if
there is a once for all solution?

An idea that springs to mind is that you could run a VPN server at home which
the remote computer connects in to. It will then have a 'normal' IP address
on your local network. Then when the machine is at home, you can setup a
static lease in the DHCP server to allocate the same address the machine
normally has over the VPN (or if your router doesn't give you this option,
you could always set it as a static IP on the machine itself).

Therefore the machine always has the same IP address when at Uni and when at
home just as if it was on the home network all the time.

I am in a very similar situation, but my Uni doesn't allow outgoing VPN
connections for some strange reason... :-(

HTH,
David.