[LUG] Newham Trials Scrapped :-(

current article:

http://www.vnunet.com/News/1151880

previous:

http://www.computerweekly.com/Article125745.htm

<rant mode = "very cynical">
Well suprise, surprise Newham have scrapped their opensource office role out
program and gone running back to MS. I cant quite understand the logic of
the reasons given in the first article (sounds more like an excuse than a
reason), however I can understand the "free optimisation" consultancy that
Newham got  from Cap Gemini Ernst & Young  (paid by MS), having said that
didnt Newham realise that MS would claw back the money through sales of
2003/CALS/Upgrades. I have a rule of thumb that I always apply in these
situations "for every carrot you find look closely for the big stick behind
it" . On a personal note I couldnt equate "independant consultancy" with
"paid by MS" but hey what do I know ?
I hate it when Government uses OSS as a stick to get concessions and
"freebies"  from MS. If the government is serious about open source, IMNSHO
it should act as if its serious about open source and stop paying it lip
service, hasnt the british tax payer suffered enough ?
Meanwhile in Germany ...... well I believe the German government are paying
the KDE team to produce tailoured GPL'ed "groupware" suite (the very thing
that Newham (and probably every other council) are missing ?).
</rant>
I wondered how far into 2004 I would get before having a public rant. (now I
know).

Tom

(who is very very annoyed)

Information in this message is confidential and may be legally privileged.
It is the intended solely for the person ( or persons) to whom it is
addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender,
and please delete the message from your system immediately. The views in
this message are personal, they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.