Re: [LUG] DVD burners & Linux?

On Sunday 09 November 2003 00:01, Jonathan Melhuish wrote:
> Am I right in thinking that DVD burners, like CD burners, are almost
> 100% "MMC" compliant and hence fully linux compatible?

yes use the generic mmc option with cdrdao

 And that I can
> use "normal" CD burning software (eg. cdrecord) to record DVDs as well?

options here depend on the burner dvdrecord(a direct replacement for cdrecord)
cdrecord-proDVD(another option) or dvdrw-tools(works for +RW quite well)
also require growisofs(fairly up to date for k3b ver 10.1 or better).

> On a related point, how can I create a DVD-video disc to play in a
> domestic player from, say, a DivX-compressed MPEG file?

domestic player would have to be Divx compatible, if thats so you could burn a
dvd using mpeg flask with divx encoding,otherwise transcode divx to VCD or
SVCD format..

Cheers,

Lee